Wednesday, January 5, 2011

1/4/11 Mystical Forest


     There is a odd stretch of very low elevation woods, sandwiched between a shopping center and a highway. It is the most wild mix of exotic/invasive and native plants and animals I've seen yet. The large trees here are completely covered with some kind of vine. It is an island of last hope for native Golden Orb Spiders and native Green Anole Lizards. From the elevation I suspect these woods are often under water, yet I have not seen any swamp plants here yet.
     I have been here several times before to protect Green Anoles and kill Cuban Anoles.
     Today I collected 19 large and small Air Potatoes from the outskirts of this woods. I have a foot injury right now from my Hapkido class. So I could only slowly walk around. I have an active life and injures are often part of my day.
     It will take me years to clear these woods of exotics. But that's ok. These kinds of giant projects give my life meaning. It is this type of never ending goals that subconsciously promote longevity. "I can't die I haven't returned these Magical Woods (and twenty other parks) to a native state yet."

So far I know this wooded area has the following exotics:
Cuban Anole Lizards
Air Potato Vines
Paper Mulberry Trees
Japanese Climbing Vines
Litter from Humans

I've also seen the following natives:
Green Anole Lizards
Blue Tailed Skinks
Red Shouldered Hawks
Golden Orb Spiders
Passion Vines
Beauty Berry Bushes

No comments:

Post a Comment