Friday, December 3, 2010

12/2/10 Mead Gardens


     In between appointments I got into Mead Gardens and pulled out 50 Cesar Weeds and 1 Tallow Tree. The park was getting ready to close so I had to leave or I'd have pulled out more.
     I think I may have found a Brazilian Pepper Tree in Winter Park also. I'll have to do some botany research to be sure. If it is, I'll be girdling it and cutting it down piece by piece.
     12/3/10 10:30am (See the two above pictures) I have confirmed that tree I saw last night is in fact Brazilian Pepper (Schinus terebinthifolius). I looked it up on the several websites including The Center For Aquatic And Invasive Plants and Youtube. So the war is on. I'm looking for some agency to call to report it being there, so the City of Winter Park will take the whole tree out by the roots. Otherwise I'll have to take it piece by piece and that could take years.
     This is the first Brazilian Pepper Tree I have encountered close up. This is why I was so carefull to be sure it was what I thought it was, before pulling off even one leaf.
     12/7/10 Since that day I have located several more Brazilian Pepper trees in Olando. Several on East HWY 50, and another on North Lockwood Road. I am going to report them to the city and I'll begin working on them myself. Once I find one, it's days are numbered.

No comments:

Post a Comment