Monday, November 22, 2010

11/18/10 The Big Econlockhatchee River


     Today I wanted to get some environmental good done, so I after work I made use of the few hours left of sunlight and walked out into the swamp I live on the edge of. Water levels are low and I was able to cross a fallen tree to the other side of the river. There I found several Spanish Moth "convict" Caterpillars (Xanthopastis regnatrix). I was able to identify them with the help of staff at the Lukas Nusary Butterfly Encounter in Orlando.
     I was surprised to find two, four foot Chinese Tallow Trees there which I promptly ripped out of the ground. I'm really getting to the point I can spot those spade shaped leaves from quite a distance, even through thick brush. See the second picture.
     To get used to looking for some specific thing is called "search image".

No comments:

Post a Comment