Tuesday, November 16, 2010

11/15/10 A Land Planarian


     When I was in Blanchard Park on 11/11/10 I saw a worm moving oddly on the ground. It had been dry for several weeks and I didn't see why a worm would be out of the ground at all. Then I noticed it was fighting with something and appeared to be in pain. But creature it was fighting with I had never seen before, so I took some pictures and let them be.
     So I went on an extensive Internet search and finnaly found it. The yellow thing killing the worm in the above pictures is a Land Planarian (Bipalum kewese mosley). They are an invasive/exotic from Vietnam. If I had known this I would have saved the worm and stomped the Planarian into mush.

1 comment:

  1. Don't smash them!! They will multiply.. Drop em in salt water!!

    ReplyDelete