Monday, November 15, 2010

11/14/10 Chinese Tallow Tree Hunting


     It was so nice to get back into the woods this morning and back into the fight against invasive. Picture one above is a African Ear Tree blocking the sun from getting to a native Palmetto Palm Tree. I took out my survival knife and hacked the Ear Tree back to the ground. You see the freed Palmetto in picture two.
     My main focus today was Cesar Weed. I took out 500 of those. I also ripped out 10 Chinese Tallow Trees and a bunch of litter too.
     I noticed 30 Plecostomus fish (Pterygoplichthy multiradiatus), also known as algae eaters or Armoured Catfish. These exotic invasive fish which should be illegal to sell are crowding out native fish here in Blanchard Park. In a fish tank they are two inches long. In the river they grow to two feet long. They have spikes which expand when anything tries to eat them. I will find a way to get to them!
     11/16/10 Update on Algae Eaters. I looked up the FWC (Florida Wildlife Commission) website and they say there is "no bag or size limits" on taking out these invasive fish. Now I just need a method, I think bow fishing would be best or maybe a very long spear.

No comments:

Post a Comment