Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Exotic Plant & Animal Removal: Big Econlockhatchee River


     While out the other day collecting Water Haycinth plants (Eichhornia crassipes) from the Big Econlockhatchee River, I collected 86 Water Haycinth plants, all that my canoe could carry and 7 Cesar Weeds (Urena lobata). I also caught a tiny baby Musk Turtle. I use the Hyacinths for fertilizer, I burn the Cesar Weeds.
     When I catch an animal I often keep it for a pet for a few days. I take it around with me to teach people about wildlife. I take photos too. I know how to care for animals so I try to do this with as little stress as possible to the animal. I often release them with a full stomach of their favorite foods too. If I let someone hold a turtle, I keep my hands right below thiers in case they drop it. If I'm showing off a snake, I genlty hold the snake's head away from the person just in case something upsets the snake. I bring in toads and hold it in my hands to show people, toads do not give people warts.
     People are facinated by even the most common animals. Letting them pet a toad for example builds their appreciation for toads. If I bring in a spider or snake I never joke with people if they are afraid of it. I try to point out some attractive feature. "Look this Wandering Spider is rootbeer brown in color." In psychology it is a principle that the more people know about anything, the more they like it.



10/6/10
     Today took out two small Ear Trees from my front yard. I only want native Florida plants growing here. I took on a much larger third Ear Tree and for an hour whacked away with an axe, cutting large branches into small logs. It will take me several more days before I have hacked this one to the ground. The picture above is of an Ear Tree seed pod. It is from this pod it gets the name Ear Tree.
     I released the tiny Musk Turtle back into the river.

No comments:

Post a Comment