Sunday, October 24, 2010

10/20/10 Blancard Park

     When ever I go to Blanchard Park I know I can collect exotic plants and litter until I'm too tired to continue. Today I pulled out 250 Cesar Weeds, 17 Chinese Tallow Trees and 3 Cuban Anole lizards. I began hacking away at several Tallow Trees with my survival knife. I brought one down and an working on a few other large ones.
     It will be easier for me to come back and cut off the new tree growth until the tree dies, then it would be for me to have to deal with the hundreds of thousands of seeds the resulting baby trees.
     I don't know why fisher men and women come to enjoy fishing in this park and then turn around and litter it. I got tangled in the fishing line ball pictured above. I do usually pick up litter while I'm collecting exotic plants and fishing line is especially dangerous to many kinds of animals. You can see in the picture above I pulled up a trot line. A trot line is a line you tie to a tree and you leave the line with a baited hook to come back for later. This is illegal and irresponsible fishing. Many turtles, alligators and birds die trying to eat the bait and getting caught on the line.
     I also noticed two big Armoured Cat Fish laying in the water near the bank. These exotic over grown sucker fish have spikes in their fins that block any native animal from eating them. I will find a way to get them.

No comments:

Post a Comment