Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Cesar Weeds (Urena lobata)

     This is my log of efforts to rid Florida of exotic and invasive Cesar Weed. This plant is a catagory II invasive plant under the Dept. of Environmentl Protection. It takes over low level forest and crowds out every other plant. I collect these plants and take them home and burn them. You can't use them as fertilizer unless you mulch them to the smallest peices, because you will be planting their seeds.
     It took my years to rid my 5 1/2 acre property of them, now I've branched out to all of Central Flroida.

2/6/11
     I have been fighting the worst Flu I've ever had. For the first time in days I felt good enough to drive to the store. So I also stopped by Lake Mills and pulled out 70 baby Cesar Weeds. Just doing that made me tired and I had to stop and rest. There is no adult plants here and I got 90% of the newest baby ones.
     Once I get over this Flu, I know this will be the year I rid several Orlando parks of every last Cesar Weed.

1/22/11
     I went with my friend Sara today to join in on the Great Air Potato Raid 2011. Along with Air Potatoes we took out 281 Cesar Weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment